Friday, September 08, 2006

Put a record on

What is this wonderfully gigantic cardboard pocket with strange Frisbee inside?
I was born just after the mix-tape.
My walkman was my life.
CDs were an easy transition.
I remember going to Circuit City with my dad to pick out a boom-box.
It was a little less than 3 feet wide.
Five disc changer. Five.
I didn’t even own five CDs.
But I had an awesome CD tower that curved.
Technology has come a long way.
iPod.
But I worry about generation iPod.
It is too easy.
Just a little too accessible.
And slightly anti-climatic.
There’s no riding your bike to the record store.
Surrendering every cent you made from baby-sitting the night before.
No cellophane wrap to struggle with.
Just point. And click.
And forget.
[Brooklyn]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home